Friday 22 February 2008

Escapades in the east


On valentine's day, I traveled to the eastern province of Zambia. This is about 600 kilo metres from Lusaka, the capital. It is usually a six hour drive on an average speed of say 100 to 120 kilo metres per hour. Chipata lies on the border with Malawi and this distance is just about 12 kilo metres and about 15 minutes drive.
I was out on assignment to cover the British Council's youth leadership training programme under a name called Dreams and Teams.
There was myself, a Bristish comrade and lead trainer called David Huskins, Macnon Luwaile from british Countil, Ernest from Zambia's national broadcaster ZNBC and young man Modern from a television station in Lusaka called MUVI.
We set off from Lusaka aound 3:30 pm and got to Chipata at about 10pm.
This (in the picture) is the road that takes you to the east where there are wise men, some people say.
I spent seven days and took a lot of pictures to share here.
I saw Ngonis preparing for the Nc'wala traditional ceremonies, I shot bicycles, which forms a large part of the transportation system in Chipata.
In Zambia, Chipata (formerly Fort Jameson) has large potential for economic development especially in agriculture. There are a lot of shops for trading and this is where one also finds Asians of Indian origin who speak the local language better than the indigenous people. The major crops grown in Chipata are maize, tobacco, sorghum and potatoes.
I just wanted to share with you a brief story about my escapades in Chipata. Let the pictures talk on their own.

No comments: